Comments

We encourage discussions of forest biology in general and our work in particular.  Please complete the Leave a Comment box below and click Post Comment button when done.  We will post comments and discussions after review.

The Northern Forest Atlas will be best used if people served add to the body of knowlege presented and help make this a “living document.”  Jerry Jenkins and his team, who made this work possible, have invested more than 100 man-years of field research, photography and graphics using high levels of camera and computer technology.  We hope all those who use and enjoy this work will help spread its use.  The Northern Forest, from the maritime provinces of Canada and shores of Maine to the prairie edge in western Minnesota and Manitoba, is an essential asset of our planet.  This work may help everyone understand the Northern Forest’s value, leading to it’s conservation and protection during coming years of change.

9 Comments
Margot Paul Ernst
October 10, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Naturally I perused the moss first. It is beyond awesome and I could spend days going deeper into what you have already. I am blown away, photos, diagrams, descriptions, exquisitie drawings etc. I am finding a ton of Pleurozium schreberi taking over open forest edges this year. Maybe because the dry spell has made them proliferate. BRAVO to the team!

Sarah Stehn
November 2, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Yes, these moss maps, charts, and photo mosaics are incredible. To see the ecological habitats of bryophytes diagrammed in a way commonly (though rarely as beautifully) done for the “higher” plants is a dream! Thank you for making them available to those outside of your region, as a tool to grow appreciation for these important organisms if nothing else. Looking forward to purchasing a few products once they become available.

Gus Goodwin
November 7, 2016 at 11:09 am

Beautiful! This is truly outstanding and I can’t wait to see what appears next. I’m also eagerly awaiting the opportunity to purchase posters and field charts. Congrats on all the tremendous work!

Brett Engstrom
December 20, 2016 at 9:36 am

Jerry: just searched for Carex backii in Images page. Results including one image of C. appalachica in with the numerous, and wonderful, backii images. How did that happen? I think the search algorithms may be on to something, because the two are often in association in the wilds.

Also, should there be plants in habitat photos with the portraits? Perhaps for future.

B

Jerry Jenkins
December 21, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Brett, who knows the mysteries of search engines. Or, for that matter, how many different ways there are that I can mis-tag images. And yes, we want habitat photos, and photos of whole plants. They are harder to get, I have to be there and can’t just send to hunting for stuff, and the light has to be right and the wind not blowing. Sedges wave their leaves something wicked with just a whisper of a breeze. But we will get there. Glad you enjoyed your backii.

J.

Genevieve Griffith
January 5, 2017 at 8:55 pm

The charts are amazing. I want them all..patiently waiting for availability. In the meantime , I’m exploring your site! Thanks so much for all of it! I am a glutton for knowledge so this is a treat.

Jerry Jenkins
January 14, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Hi Genevieve, and thank you for your encouragement. Charts should be printed and available in late winter. It’s a lot of work, but satisfying work. The company of plants, and encouragement from people like yourself, makes it worthwhile.

J.

Sherrie Moyer
January 25, 2017 at 6:21 am

The attention to detail is evidenced in your amazing work! I thoroughly enjoyed this site and look forward to your posters.

Larry Daloz
October 2, 2017 at 4:06 pm

The first girl I ever kissed–over sixty years ago, mind you–responded by saying, “What can I say but ‘Wow!’?” Those words are what came to mind when I saw your image of Bartramia. I have been taking macrophotos of mosses and lichens for the past ten years, primarily for their dazzling beauty. In fact, I have my first formal show coming up in November. But these of yours are utterly staggering, to say nothing of the videos. Please place me on your list for when your next work comes out.

Meanwhile, hooray for your piece in Northern Woodlands–especially for your wry and realistic commentary….